Friday, February 8, 2008

newest version of dimmer switch of the sun.

He looks like you when the dimmer switch of the sun is down
And as the artificial light sets into an artificial night
I can’t help but feel completely artificial.

Like he’s an understudy
An under-the-cover-study
Shooting your scenes

Won’t you play the part I wrote for you?
These stand-ins pale in comparison to your fair skin
In this film that trailed off into
unfinished
ellipsis
Still
Is

But your saliva is disappearing ink
A whispers width away
But by the time that I blink

infinity is easily sealed with a burn
Turn your head and it’s only an eight.
But we kept tracing each others fingers in that everlasting figure
Figuring love would always be
tickling our backs
And keeping its promises

Never trust the psychic booth at the carnival
The crystal balls in your eyes were cracked
We read your palms like psalms
And your love line just ran out of breath
And collapsed.

Kissing with eyes closed
Superimposing your hipbones
So sharp when we made love they cut me open
Hoping to fall asleep next to a stranger
And wake up in bed virgins again

Because in between my thighs you left a wound
That last night I welcomed him into
Afraid of the fate of the morning glory at dusk
Afraid this wound will close up
With your skin stitched into my scars
My blood is thirsty remembers your name
Therefore knows to ask for you by it

But dry like desert; I am.
Mirages in his mirror image of you
His collarbones collect our sweat
Too salty to quench my thirst
I remember your cactus chest
And the unsettling feeling of an unattainable oasis

Plucked your needle and
Stitched a scarlet letter into my dress
I am the seamstress
I am a tempurpedic temptress
And my memory foam will not forget how you fit into me.

Because I know your every angle with my eyes closed
Your spine poked through just to prove you had a backbone
Long legs demand to stand on their own
And then they just walked out

Pretending he is you
Like the sun is still the moon
But the sun rises even when you don’t ask it to.
Hit snooze on this reality
And fall back into the dream
where I left you
Where you left me

And you’re counting my vertebrae with your mouth
And you’re hearing me out
And we’re laughing like we still remember how

And we kiss,
And its only in moments like this
When I wake up disappointed in everyone
And everything
And hate my blankets for holding me
And you for not
And regret the pillows catching my head
And you for not
Isn’t this the place you promised me
I’d never sleep alone?
Tonight your phantom arms hold me
And
Hold up your side of the bargain
So I draw up this dream where we
draw the curtains.
And draw another breath.
And you draw me in closer
And you draw a treasure map on my body
With an X on the chest
And its no wonder I keep finding you here again.

And I don’t the heart to tell the others,
They’re digging at nothing.

1 comment:

HONESTLY kerri said...

so obviously i love this poem bc i helped you revise it lol.
just one small typo..dunno if it matters or not

And I don’t the heart to tell the others,
They’re digging at nothing.

and i dont "have" the heart.
just noticed it, figured id letcha kno..

<3littlebear