Saturday, March 22, 2008

NEW NEW NEW republic

Meg: Mill me down
Alyssa: Make me fiber
Kerri: Make me flour

Miles:
Welcome citizens of the New Republic
We have come here on the plane of a new horizon
Rising higher in our humanity
We live in victory now.
We have abolished crime.
We have rid ourselves of war.
We have become a powerful, functioning machine,
And now we can live free.
We are free.
In the rise of the New Republic.

Meg: Will they remember
Mill me down

Alyssa: Mine was smiling
It had been years since I remembered to do so
Was a little rusty in my rendering
I crowbar bent my mouth into a pale pink half moon
Remembered what it felt like to be
Before all of this happened
*before them

Meg: We're all just trying to find the sun again

Alyssa: And that’s when they came for me
With their metal faces and hollow eyes
They saw my lips split something deadly
too human
unfamiliar

Kerri: Ripped the shadows out from under us

Alyssa: They force fed me my lips for breakfast the next morning
Make me fiber

Miles:
Some murmurs have come from the disloyal

Meg:

Miles: For the weak will always falter

Meg:
Removed our minds from books and art and the gutter
And place them in padded rooms

A/M/K: Milled us down

Miles:
They have rejected our laws
Defied our fines
If harder enforcement is what will convert the misled

Meg: Will I be enough to feed beginnings to people before the end?

Then we will take the responsibility
To stop the insolence
Through whatever means necessary.
And bring peace to our nation

A/M/K: whatever means necessary (in round, at means)

Kerri:
I was holding him when they came for me
Arms frozen around his shrinking frame
They had to break both shoulder blades to unhinge me from him
Cut my fingers from his face
Make me fiber

Miles: There is no embracing

Kerri:
With needles for fingers
And silk spewing underneath their nails
They scratched me in and out
Until my eyelids were sewn shut

Miles: There are no tears

Meg: There are still a few of us left
(Miles stomps here feet slowly)
Swingset kids pumping to flip
And midnight society songbirds
Writing poems with paper cuts
Underneath your fingernails
We’re hidden
In the place where the rainbow forgot about
Was bleached out of

Miles: There’s no use in running
(Stomps feet)

Meg: Throats slit and still stinging
Make me flour

Miles: Poetry will not save you.

Kerri & Meg:
Make me fiber

Kerri: I dream in the colors they tried to drain from his skin

Alyssa & Meg:
Make me flour

Alyssa:
Make my broken bones stretchers
For canvas we’ll paint one day

Miles: These are the laws of the New Republic

Meg:
When the world reverses
And resurrects the dust
They’ve made of us
They will smell the rebellion

Miles:
This is the life of the New Republic

Meg: We will be the déjà vu

Miles: Welcome to the dawn of the great new

Meg: Asking you

Meg: (WHISPER)
Can you make bread of me?

No comments: